Wow, feels like forever since I posted! August disappeared in a flash; I suppose moving across the world, having a birthday, and getting ready to go back to uni doesn’t leave a whole lot of time for blogging, so I totally dropped the ball on writing a That’s My Jam post for August. My B. To make it up to you, I’m giving away two Pop Up tickets for one lucky reader and their plus one. Keep reading to find out how to enter to win! Speaking of the Pop Up, I’ve been chatting to Chris, the Executive Chef of Beetroot Restaurants, about what tasty things we’ll have on the menu and I’m super impressed by the creativity they’re using to come up with a completely plant-based, and gluten-free menu. This is so far from what they normally do but they’re totally owning it! You’re going to be totally blown away when you see what they’ve been planning! I’m equal parts nervous and excited to get into the kitchen with Chris’s team next week to help them prep for the big night!
1. Anyone who knows me IRL might have noticed that I’m pretty much obsessed with this Essie Good as Gold nail varnish. I have hardly stopped wearing it all summer. Before that it was this Topshop pink matte nail colour, which I’ve decided I need to go and dig out one last time before the Autumn sets in. Anyway, the Essie polish is part of their Mirrored Metallics collection and is a total head-turner. I get loads of compliments about this one! It’s a really pretty brushed gold so it’s not too in your face, and can make a boring outfit feel a bit more fancy. I’m totally wearing it to the pop up!
2. So, as much as I am completely in LOVE with Leeds, and despite how glad I am to be back in the UK, there’s one thing I am missing from ‘MERCA more than anything else (sorry friends, it’s not you). The kombucha situation here is diabolical and I’m dying for a bottle of Reed’s Culture Club. So, to fill the kombucha shaped hole in my heart, I’ve more or less been forced to do some coconut water recon. Fortunately, it’s a lot harder to eff up coconut water and I’ve decided that this Chi brand is my new fave. I did a little searching and couldn’t find any hard science to back up health claims for coconut water, but it does appear to help rehydrate after intense exercise about the same as sports drinks like Gatorade, without the weird blue colour and shittons of sugar which is pretty cool. Other than that, it just tastes good so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
3. Nākd bars are like a better, more delicious version or a Lärabars. They’re essentially just dried fruit and nuts, and make a pretty solid snack option. They seem to be just about EVERYWHERE, so try ditching the unhealthy shit like Mars bar or whatever, and try one of these out instead. They come in loads of delish flavours so you won’t get bored; my favourites are the cashew cookie, and the chocolate orange.
4. Everyone knows I’m unapologetic coconut fangirl, so not sorry for TWO coconut products in one post. Plant based yoghurts used to be made from soya and really challenged the gag-reflex, but then coconut milk came along and was like “It’s cool, I got it from here” and balance was restored to the universe. CoYo is made from pure coconut milk, and bacterial cultures. There aren’t any added sugars or weird crap in there. Top with some fresh berries and a sprinkling of raw seeds for a seriously baller breakfast, or try the chocolate or fruit varieties if you’re a G. Trust me, this stuff is awesome.
5. These are hands-down my favourite thing on the list. I know I have a bit of a rice cake habit, but I’m rationalising these with the fact that they have corn in them too \o/ Seriously though. SRSLY. These are amazing. I eat them piled with hummus, freshly sliced cucumber, and hella sprouts for a snack or light meal. Smashed avocado is also pretty nuts with these guys too. Last week I went to the health food shop to buy a new pack and they were sold out and it was bad times for me Go and buy yours now and avoid the suffering.
6. I finally got round to buying the Hemsley and Hemsley cookbook after drooling over their website for like, forever. The book isn’t totally plant-based but I’m not even mad because it’s all kinds of sexy (the food and the authors!). The Hemsley sisters give you tips on how to plantify a recipes that have meat/dairy/eggs so you can easily make substitutes. I love the pea, mint, and broccoli mash, and can’t wait to get into the mushroom quinoa nut roast with a chestnut apricot topping when the weather gets a little cooler. I can’t think of anything more perfectly Autumny! The Malaysian lentil and squash curry will follow shortly after!
A couple of bonus things:
I just got my first Vegan Kind snack box in the post yesterday and it was even better than I expected! Check out what was inside on my Instagram. The Ombar chocolate alone deserves its own blog post! If you’re new to plant-based eating then this is a really nice way to get introduced to new products, and they are conveniently delivered to your house every month.
Also, loving this song at the moment:
So, about those pop up tickets… To enter, leave a comment below or tweet me letting me know either which of these things you’re most excited to try, or if you have tried any of them already, what did you think? What are you really into just now that you would want to add to the list? This is open to people who haven’t already reserved a place at the pop up before it sold out. I’ll announce the winner this Sunday!
Can’t wait to see some of you guys at the Courtyard NEXT WEEK!!!
Until then, be well!